Report: Man Utd 2 Man City 0

Martial was one of the scorers today for United. Image:

In the first half, within the opening 10 minutes Manchester City had the first chance to get on the scoreboard. It was Raheem Sterling whose right-footed shot from the left side of the box was saved by David De Gea after an assist by Phil Foden.

However, United would have an opportunity to score via Daniel James when on 16 minutes his shot was saved by Ederson, and Bruno Fernandes provided the assist. Then a few minutes before the half-an-hour mark it was Anthony Martial whose attempt was saved by the keeper.

As United pressed to get that all important first goal and at the 30th minute mark they got the breakthrough. United won a free-kick that was taken by Bruno Fernandes. Anthony Martial then latched onto the pass and his low drive went past Ederson at the near post. After that Bruno Fernandes several minutes later had an attempt that missed the target. Even though City had most of the possession, United defended and soaked up the pressure well. It was half-time and United took a 1-0 lead into break.

After the break, the Reds continued to use the tactics that made them successful in the first-half. Martial had another chance to double United’s advantage, but his attempt was saved. City tried to get back into the game via Phil Foden when his shot outside the box was parried away by De Gea. Foden and Nicholas Otamendi both missed chances to equalize for the visitors later in the half.

Scott Mctominay sealed it with his goal.

Daniel James and Harry Maguire both missed opportunities to make it 2-0 to United within a minute of each other on 70th and 71st minutes respectively. Sterling missed a chance and Gabriel Jesus had his opportunity saved a few minutes later. United were just happy to soak up the pressure and defend deep and close down the City players with the ball.

Scott McTominay came on for Martial and Eric Bailly came on for Brandon Williams with 12 minutes to go. In the last minutes of the match Sterling had another shot saved by De Gea. United would make it 2-0 when the ball was advanced quickly through Ighalo, and then he passed it to Fred whose long ball James failed to latch on to.

But Ederson in goal quickly threw the ball out in order to start a quick counter-attack, but it fell into the path of McTominay who quickly shot past the keeper and the ball went into the open net. It was an injury-time goal that sealed the game for United. Two minutes later the referee blew the whistle and United won deservingly 2-0 in the end.

What did you think of the game? Who was your Man of the Match?

Leave a Reply