Report: Man Utd 1 Manchester City 3

Fred battles Kevin De Bruyne in a horrible game for United. Image: ESPN FC

Manchester United had a disastrous first-half that had 3 goals scored against us by a rampant Manchester City side. The Blues were up 3-0 in the Carabao Cup semi-final through Bernardo Silva, Riyad Mahrez and an own goal by Andreas Pereira. Marcus Rashford scored a consolation goal in the second-half.

The first goal came when Bernardo Silva travelled with the ball from around 25 yards from goal. He then unleashed a powerful curling left-footed shot that smashed into the top right-hand corner. Silva’s goal came at the 17th minute mark, and he scored right in front of the Stretford End.

The United players were guilty of conceding possession of the ball and we had chase the City players all over the pitch. The second goal came when Benjamin Mendy cleared the ball upfield and Silva passed the ball past Victor Lindelof and Riyad Mahrez received the pass and he went around De Gea with a cool finish. It was 2-0 now, and United were in real trouble.

Bernardo Silva celebrates his opening goal for City. Image: 90 mins

Things got worse for the home side in the 38th minute, when United’s attack broke down and the visitors came forward and the ball came to Kevin De Bruyne and his shot was saved by De Gea then it deflected off Pereira’s body and it went into the net after the young Belgian tried to clear it.

In the second-half, Solskjaer replaced Nemanja Matic for Jesse Lingard. Not much changed in the second period although we looked better. But not enough to prevent us from falling to a defeat to our neighbours in blue.

However, the Reds were able to pull one back when City gave the ball away, and late substitute Angel Gomes closed down Rodri and Mason Greenwood then passed the ball to Rashford who clinically finished of the opportunity. Unfortunately it was a case of little to late for us, and in the end this was just a terrible performance by United.

Leave a Reply