Match Report: Man Utd 2 Aston Villa 2

Victor Lindelof celebrates his goal against Aston Villa. Image: Getty Images.

Manchester United failed to win again as they dropped more points against Aston Villa at Old Trafford. They instead had to settle for a 2-2 draw. This is the third consecutive game that they failed to win.

In the opening 10 minutes, Fred had an opportunity to open the scoring when he took a right-footed shot that flew over the bar. Then a minute later it was Wesley on the other end of the field that had a good attempt outside the box, but it was saved by David De Gea.

Unfortunately for United Jack Grealish struck for Villa seconds later. He curled the ball into the top right hand corner after an assist by Anwar El Ghazi’s cross. United were playing decent football up to that point, but now suddenly had to find an equalizer. Anthony Martial almost scored when his shot was saved by keeper Tom Heaton eleven minutes later.

Marcus Rashford also had a chance to get the tying goal, but his left-footed shot in box went barely wide. United continued to attack the visitors, but couldn’t find the breakthrough until three minutes from half-time. Andreas Pereira’s cross following a corner found Rashford in the box and he headed the ball towards the goal. The ball bounced off the inside of the post and then it came off Heaton’s shoulder and it went into the net.

Replays showed it was an own goal by the keeper Heaton and the referee ruled that the goal was valid. Trezeguet then hit the bar for Villa with decent effort some time later.

In the second period, Fred missed a shot that sailed high and wide of the goal. Daniel James also had his shot blocked from outside the box. Just before half-time it was Martial whose left-footed shot was saved by the keeper. United were pushing for the second goal, but Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s drive in the box was saved by Heaton.

Then the moment that United craved came in the 64th minute when Victor Lindelof scored from a corner in the six-yard box to give United the lead. But it would be a short-lived one. Villa responded just two minutes later with a fine goal of their own when Matt Target passed to Tyrone Mings who put the ball past De Gea with ease. The United players protested and thought that Mings was offside, but a VAR check concluded that the goal was valid.

The Red Devils should of taken the lead again after Andreas Pereira put his shot high and wide after an assist by Wan-Bissaka. Later on in the game Martial would have a shot blocked and one missed by shooting it over the bar. Fred came close to scoring after his header was saved by Heaton. Jesse Lingard four minutes from time was also thwarted by the keeper after the striker took a shot from a difficult angle.

Henri Lansbury could of won it for Villa, but he put his effort over the bar after a corner and an assist by John McGinn. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men couldn’t find the winner themselves and so the match ended 2-2.

Leave a Reply