Match Report: Sheffield United 3 Man Utd 3

Marcus Rashford celebrates his goal against the Blades. Image: The Irish Mirror.

Manchester United could only muster a 3-3 draw against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on Sunday. Oliver McBurnie scored a stoppage time equalizer to deny United a win in the last minute of the match.

Manchester United were 2 goals down when John Fleck and Lys Mousset scored for the Blades before the Reds fought back in the second-half to score three goals. Brandon Williams, Mason Greenwood and Marcus Rashford were the architects of an incredible comeback.

The hosts started the game with confidence and created chances early in the match. John Lundstrom volleyed John Fleck’s cross and forced David De Gea into a full stretch save. The Blades were able to latch on to the loose ball first and crossed it back into the box where David McGoldrick headed it towards the goal, but De Gea would deny him too.

Then the homeside took the lead when Lundstrom who was in the box fired a shot at goal and the ball then rebounded to Fleck in the center who fired past De Gea after it struck the Scotsman leg. The hosts continued to press for a second goal and came close when Fleck’s free-kick went wide of the far post, and McGoldrick’s effort was easily saved by De Gea.

The Red Devils tried to respond when Anthony Martial ran down the left-flank and took a shot from a tight angle. But it was saved comfortably by Sheffield’s keeper Simon Moore. United had a few chances in the first-half, and that prompted Ole to make a tactical switch at half-time from a 3-4-3 to a 4-2-3-1 formation.

In the second-half the change improved our offense we looked more dangerous. Rashford within the opening minutes got a corner through a run that threatened the Blades. He then took a powerful strike that came close to scoring. But Sheffield would double the scoreline with a swift counter-attack.

Mason Greenwood scored against the Blades. Image: Getty Images

Fleck passed the ball to Mousset, who produced a curling effort from around 25 yards from goal. The ball swerved past De Gea and nestled in the back of the net. Later on Martial came close with a strike that just went wide. However, we would get our reward when Daniel James’s cross from the right-wing found its way to Brandon Williams.

The 19-year-old who was just making his second Premier League start, took the ball on the half-volley and it flew past Moore and into the bottom corner. The goal came in the 70th minute, and that gave the Reds some belief that we could get the equalizer. Ole would then bring on Mason Greenwood who came on for Andreas Pereira.

Rashford played in a great ball to Greenwood who was between two defenders and he placed his shot past the keeper to tie the game. Our confidence was growing and we took control of the match, and soon we were ahead. Daniel James was the provider again. He dribbled past a player and with a one-two passing move picked out Rashford in the middle of the box. He then placed it past Moore to give United the lead. We continued to dominate the game and Jesse Lingard came close to getting a fourth with a long-distance effort.

However, the hosts got the equalizer in the last minute of regulation time when Enda Stevens put in a wonderful cross that we couldn’t clear after a goalmouth scramble. The ball then fell to McBurnie, and he lashed the ball into the net. There was a VAR check to see if the Scotsman brought the ball down with his arm before scoring the goal. But VAR confirmed that he didn’t and so the goal was valid.

We took too long to take control of the game, and we missed a few other chances too. But it was an entertaining match especially in the last 20 minutes. We didn’t mount a comeback until we scored in the 72nd minute. I believe that if we started our comeback late in the first-half with a goal or early in the second-half with a goal we might have gone on to win this match.

Leave a Reply