Match Report: Newcastle 1 Man Utd 0

Matthew Longstaff the man who scored the winner for Newcastle. Image: All Football

The game started with Ashley Young conceding a corner which United defended. Then Fabian Schar within the first four minutes had an attempt blocked when he took a right-footed shot from outside the box. Allan St. Maximin in the 12th minute had a shot from outside the box that missed the target.

Marcus Rashford was caught offside later on in the match when Juan Mata passed a through ball to Rashford. United looked devoid of ideas as the game progressed. Their porous midfield allowed Newcastle to get through easily without any real resistance. The Red Devils were too slow in attacking Newcastle whenever we had chances to advance the ball quickly.

Then Newcastle through Miguel Almiron and Schar had opportunities to score, but they couldn’t capitalize on them. Andreas Pereira in the 41st minute was able to get United’s first shot on target after an assist by Harry Maguire, but it was saved by Martin Dubravka. Then in the 45 minute, Maguire’s header from a very close range missed the target after a corner kick by Ashley Young. Then halftime came as both sides went into the break 0-0.

In the second-half, nothing really changed for the Red Devils with Almiron for Newcastle missing his shot from outside the box, after an assist by Saint-Maximin within the first few minutes of the second period. Then shortly after that Maguire’s effort was blocked and Daniel James’s shot was saved by the keeper. United couldn’t seem to get the breakthrough and things were starting to look bleaker as they tried to get the opening goal.

Andy Carroll’s hearder went wide after a good build-up by Newcastle. Scott McTominay later in the game had a header in the center of box that went wide of the right post. The home side would break the deadlock in the 72 minute when Jetro Williams through a counter-attack laid the ball on for Matthew Longstaff, and he drilled a low shot past David Gea’s right-hand side. It was Longstaff’s debut goal and it came at critical time for Newcastle with the club mired in 19th position on the table. This was a real hammer blow for us as Newcastle’s performance was average just like us.

With that goal United was now in trouble and Fred wasted his effort that went over the bar. Then you had Mason Greenwood’s header that was saved by the keeper too. It was real late in the match, but yet still United didn’t show the fight back that earlier editions of United teams showed in the past. They still played at a pedestrian pace in advancing the ball. There was a last chance for us in the game with a free-kick that United won, and it was taken by Pereira. But his free-kick sailed harmlessly into Dubravka’s hands, and the match ended with Newcastle getting a vital three points that took them out of the relegation zone and into 16th place.

Leave a Reply